6 Ways to Meet Singles Online
It’s not easy to date. You may be bruised by broken hearts and unmet expectations, to name a few.
At DatingAdvice.com, we believe that meeting a potential mate online can help ease the pain. It allows you to screen out the bad seeds and focus on the people that have the potential to be your soul mate.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best six online dating options.
1. Online dating sites.
There are hundreds of online dating sites – from niche sites like ChristianMingle.com to sites boasting millions of users like Match.com and eHarmony.com.
- According to Match.com’s Happen Magazine, 40 million Americans use online dating services. That’s about 40 percent of our entire U.S. single population. Finding a man or woman through online dating is no longer taboo.
- What do Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Aniston, Joan Rivers, Orlando Bloom, and Halle Berry have in common? They’re all celebrities who have reportedly (as per Complex.com) used online dating sites.
- Online dating offers a better chance of getting a first date than the bar, where you’re clamoring to get someone’s number before the last call. After all, the bar scene is pretty much all about your looks, whereas online dating is part physical appearance and a lot of personalities.
Finding a man or woman through online dating is no longer frowned upon, so sign up, polish your profile, and start looking for your everlasting match.
2. Social media.
Take to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and other social media sites to strike up a relationship. The friendly banter associated with quick quips and silly status updates is a great way to meet someone online.
Just remember not to post monotonous life events, like describing the omelet you had for breakfast this morning.
- There are niche sites that cater specifically to meeting new people through social networks. Check out Flirtic.com or Tinder – dubbed the “straight version of Grindr.” You never know who you’ll find surfing the Web.
According to blogger Therese Squared, there are online dating tips that can also be used in social media dating:
- Brand the real version of you.
- Don’t be a cliche or cyberstalker.
- Spreading yourself too thin won’t get you far.
- Make decisions and don’t look back.
- There are more than 10,000 groups on Meetup.com and more than 3.2 million users in 65 countries. It’s safe to say you’ll meet at least one person you’re interested in through the site.
- The largest group on the website is the “20s and 30s Going Out Group” in Washington, D.C., with almost 20,000 members.
- There are groups for everything, from hiking and museum hunting to free movie screenings and foodies.
From paddleboard groups to motorcycle enthusiasts, most cities and towns have a plethora of meet-up opportunities to choose from. You just might meet your future life partner.
Here’s our Craigslist 101:
- Go to your city or town’s Craigslist site and search the personals. From strictly platonic to miscellaneous romances, the Web is full of individuals looking for lifelong love or just a one-night stand.
- Safety is number one.
- Always arrange to meet someone in a public, crowded and well-lit place.
- Don’t ever go to a person’s house to meet them, and don’t give out personal information like your last name or home address.
5. Mobile apps.
There are literally hundreds of different apps you can use to meet people. Just download them to your Smartphone and away you go.
- Check out Skout, an app that uses your Smartphone’s GPS to find individuals in close proximity to you, or Grindr, an app strictly for the gay community with more than 2.3 million subscribers in 192 countries.
- According to Served Fresh Media, “Mobile dating is fast becoming the preferred method to meet potential dates among young people because meetings occur much faster than a traditional online dating site.”
6. Chat areas and forums.
- Sign up to become a member of Musicworld1000.com and strike up a conversation. You’ll be surprised at how quickly a quality conversation can turn into a friendship.
- Be yourself. Once you’ve learned your way around Gardenweb.com, feel free to be yourself and engage in important conversations about fertilizer and snow peas.
- The best way to meet someone is when you’re being yourself.
- Check out niche sites like Chat-avenue.com or Spark.com.
- Also, most online dating sites like eHarmony.com and Match.com have their own sections for chat rooms and online forums.
In 2012, more than 2.4 billion individuals used the Internet, according to Internet World Stats. There are a lot of guys and women out there who could be your soul mate.