The WNBA has seen many exceptional players throughout its history.
Below are some of the Greatest WNBA Players of all Time
- Diana Taurasi: Often referred to as the “White Mamba,” Diana Taurasi is considered one of the greatest basketball players of all time, regardless of gender. Taurasi has won multiple WNBA championships with the Phoenix Mercury and has been named WNBA Finals MVP three times. She holds numerous records, including the all-time leading scorer in WNBA history.
- Lisa Leslie: A pioneer of women’s basketball, Lisa Leslie is a three-time WNBA MVP and a four-time Olympic gold medalist. She played her entire WNBA career with the Los Angeles Sparks, leading them to two WNBA championships. Leslie was known for her dominant presence on both ends of the court and her impact on popularizing women’s basketball.
- Sheryl Swoopes: Sheryl Swoopes was the first player to be signed in the WNBA and went on to have a legendary career. She won three WNBA MVP awards and led the Houston Comets to four consecutive WNBA championships from 1997 to 2000. Swoopes was known for her versatility, athleticism, and clutch performances.
- Tamika Catchings: Tamika Catchings is widely regarded as one of the greatest all-around players in WNBA history. She was a 10-time WNBA All-Star, won the WNBA MVP award in 2011, and led the Indiana Fever to a WNBA championship in 2012. Catchings was known for her defensive prowess, versatility, and leadership on and off the court.
- Sue Bird: Sue Bird is one of the most decorated players in WNBA history, with four WNBA championships and multiple All-Star selections to her name. She is known for her exceptional court vision, playmaking ability, and leadership as the point guard for the Seattle Storm. Bird’s longevity and consistency have solidified her status as one of the greatest point guards of all time.
- Candace Parker: Candace Parker is a versatile forward who has made a significant impact on the game since entering the WNBA. She won the WNBA MVP award in 2008 and led the Los Angeles Sparks to a WNBA championship in 2016. Parker is known for her athleticism, skill set, and ability to dominate in multiple facets of the game.
- Cheryl Miller: Cheryl Miller is widely regarded as one of the greatest basketball players of all time, male or female. While injuries limited her WNBA career, Miller’s impact on the game cannot be overstated. She was a dominant force at the collegiate level and paved the way for future generations of female basketball players.
- Tina Thompson: Tina Thompson had a storied career in the WNBA, becoming the first player to score 7,000 career points. She won four WNBA championships with the Houston Comets and was named to multiple All-Star teams throughout her career. Thompson was known for her scoring ability, leadership, and durability.
- Cynthia Cooper: Cynthia Cooper was a dynamic scorer who played a key role in the Houston Comets’ early dominance in the WNBA. She won four consecutive WNBA championships from 1997 to 2000 and was named WNBA Finals MVP each time. Cooper’s ability to take over games and perform under pressure earned her a place among the greatest players in WNBA history.
- Teresa Weatherspoon: Teresa Weatherspoon was a defensive stalwart and floor general during her time in the WNBA. She won two Defensive Player of the Year awards and was a five-time All-Star. Weatherspoon’s impact on the game extended beyond statistics, as she was known for her leadership and tenacity on the court.
These players have left an indelible mark on the WNBA and have helped shape the league into what it is today. Their skill, dedication, and passion for the game have inspired countless fans and future generations of basketball players.